Monday, September 24, 2007

Help Your Child Increase Reading and Learning Comprehension

Suggesting ideas in the following constructive ways, we actually use the brain's natural learning ability for effortless learning patterns in the brain. When we focus on what we CAN achieve, we eliminate learning distractions. Staying focused ONLY on what we DO want to achieve, we can more easily concentrate and comprehend what we are reading.

I have a video of my son (now 16-years-old) reading when he was 18-months-old. I had researched how to help him in school. I wrote out simple words (like cracker, water, cookie, etc.,), wrote them on a piece of posterboard and placed a picture of the word next to the written out item. When he wanted something from the list, he would point to the picture and say the word. I would read to him every day and let him read to me from his storybooks. (Sometimes reading was summarizing from his memory about the story.) But, as a result of his early instruction he's ALWAYS been a TOP reader at school. Sometimes he prefers reading instead of watching TV.

Another thing I did from early on was do math with him. We added and subtracted familiar looking objects like apples or pencils or whatever. We did this basic math in a basic computer program AND actually with objects. I would say to him, "Math is easy for you. Say that." He would parrot back, "Math easy me, Mommy." I did the same thing for reading. "Reading is easy for you. Say that." He would parrot back, "Reading easy me, Mommy." As he matured, math and reading were very easy for him to learn.

If you'd like to learn more about learning techniques for yourself or your child, in an understandable way for your brain, get the program, Brain Talk For Super Learning: Improved Comprehension, Improved Concentraion, Improved Focus. Please see the product list on my blog for more information.

Happy learning!

No comments: